The following information is from different statistics about knitting. You will learn how popular and broad the scope of this hobby. From these details, you will appreciate knitting more.
You will be glad that you choose to pursue this hobby. So, to know the surprising stats about knitting, read on.
Knitting Has Become More Popular During The Coronavirus Crisis
Knitting has become more popular during the Coronavirus crisis. This is according to Forbes online article on March 27, 2021. They had an interview with “We Are Knitters” founders, Pepita Marín and Alberto Bravo.
- In the interview, they shared that their sales have increased 75 percent each week. They also had an increase in their social media following by 50 percent. According to them, Since the crisis, their followers have surged by millions.
- The article also states that knitting social media following has surged. The online following has increased by 50 percent as early as March 12 of this year.
- According to We are knitters, about 45 million Americans know how to knit or crochet. One-third of them buy knitting supplies at least once each month.
- In their survey, 99% are women but they are also getting orders from men. Customers aged 25-40 usually buy knitting kits. Meanwhile, customers who are 40 and older buy individual supplies.
- In their research, AFCI found that knitting had a market worth $2.79 billion in 2016. This gave them an average knitting spending of $20.57 per household. They also found out that there 28.8 million American knitters and crocheters.
- These knitters also participated in other needle arts like embroidery and cross-stitch. The research also showed that 71 percent of knitters and crocheters are female. Twenty-nine percent (29%) are male, and 37 percent are full-time employees.
- Here are some other astounding details that AFCI has gathered.
Since the Coronavirus crisis has started, people have more free time to do their hobbies. They have more time in hand to try something new. People wanted to do something to make themselves busy and productive.
Knitting has become one of the most loved activities since the crisis. Experts say that both men and women chose knitting as the level of anxiety escalates. This is because knitting allows them to make something tangible. that they can be proud of.
In previous chapters, you have learned that knitting helps reduce anxiety and depression. The Coronavirus crisis has brought a lot of uncertainties. This is why people wanted to do something to forget their worries.
This could be one of the reasons why knitting has caused a sudden increase in sales and popularity.
In times of crisis, knitting and other crafting hobbies are helpful. It allows people to shift their focus on the craft rather than their anxieties. It also gives them a sense of control and achievement despite the situation.
The online knitting advocate “We Are Knitters” has reached 3 million new subscribers. They also gained more than two and a half million views on their stories.
These figures show that knitting initiates social interaction. This is first seen among the elderly in care homes. Aging patients interact and socialize with other knitters as they knit.
Despite social distancing, knitters find ways to interact and socialize through online platforms. This could be one of the reasons why knitting online communities have boomed in recent weeks.
They also noticed that at the beginning most buyers were women aged 25-40. These are women who wanted to learn a new hobby. They also believe that knitting is cool and trendy.
All these data show that knitting is a beneficial hobby. It improves your mental, emotional, physical, and social health.
Knitting Is A Profitable Industry
Yarn crafting like knitting and crochet has a huge market. It is also a profitable business. The research made by the Association For Creative Industries (AFCI) proved this to be true.
- 77 percent of knitters buy their supplies from physical stores
- 4 percent buy outside physical stores (can be online)
- 19 percent buy from both sources
- 34 percent of knitters are between ages 18 to 34
- 36 percent are between ages 35 to 54
- 30 percent are 55 and above
What do these data tell you? All these figures imply that knitting is an enjoyable hobby. People are willing to spend to knit. These data also indicate that knitting is for everyone. Whether you are male, female, or even if you are working full-time.
Source: Knitting and Crochet Today: Statistics, Trends, and More
Knitting Industry Is Booming
The Market Research had a recent in-depth assessment of the knitting industry in the USA for 2021. The Apparel Knitting Mills Industry Report has over 100 data. These data have an in-depth assessment of the industry covering 2011 until 2024.
- Knitting industry sales were $1.2 billion in 2019.
- The knitting industry has grown at an annual rate of 0.1% over the last three years.
- The average sales per knitting company were $5.5 million in 2019.
All these findings show that knitting is a broad industry. All knitting companies are thriving and booming.
Source: Apparel Knitting Mills – 2021 US Industry Market Research Report
Knitting Provides Several Health Benefits
Here are their findings.
These findings tell you that knitting is one of the most worthwhile hobbies. It does not only give you a sense of achievement but also healing from depression and anxiety. This lobby has also been a great meditative way of relaxation.
Source: Wool and the Gang
Knitting Is For Everyone
In the study conducted by the Craft Yarn Council in 2014, they have found some interesting facts. The study involved 3,178 knitters and crocheters. Among the issues they studied were:
- The participants’ motivation to make the craft
- The benefits they get from the hobby
- The places where they buy their supplies
- The kind of projects they make
Here is the breakdown of their participants.
- 48 percent primarily do crochet
- 32 percent primarily do knit
- 20 percent do both knitting and crochet
- 84 percent knit or crochet 3 to 4 times a week
- 58 percent knit or crochet every day
- 3 percent is between ages 18 to 34 knit or crochet every day
A. What Motivates the Participants?
The study revealed the different age group has its unique motivation for knitting.
The study revealed that all participants agreed that knitting is their creative outlet. The second motivation is to cope with stress, and last is the feeling of being productive.
B. What Benefits Do Participants Get?
The research revealed that participants have different motivations. However, none of the results involve monetary gains or rewards.
C. What Projects They Make?
D. When and where do they buy Supplies?
These findings revealed that knitting offers a lot of health benefits. Regardless of your age, knitting is a great avenue for your creativity and relaxation.
Source: Craft Yarn Council
Fun Facts about Knitting
In the research made by Factretriever, here are some fun facts about knitting.
- In 2013 alone, the website Ravelry had about three million members around the world.
- Again, the site Ravelry was in controversy. The US Olympic Committee issued a cease-and-desist order to the knitting site. According to the letter, the website infringes on their copyright with their “Ravelympics”.
- “Ravelympics” includes sweater triathlon, afghan marathon, and scarf hockey. The event motivated crafters to start their projects as the Olympics commenced. They need to finish their projects as soon as the Olympics finished.
Sarah Jessica Parker
These fun facts show that knitting is a popular topic despite being a humble hobby.
Source: The Fact Retriever
Knitting Trends in the 21st Century
- Hats 17.2 percent
- Shawls cover 16.9 percent
- Wraps cover the 15.1 percent
- Sweaters(pullovers and cardigans) 13.1 percent
- Socks were 11.3 percent
They also revealed that the common trends were the following.
These became popular in the latter part of 2016. This came upon in the advent of the Find Your Fade shawl by Andrea Mowry. This trend became even more popular in 2017.
The website Ravelry showed 6 patterns with this method in 2016. But in 2017 it rose to around 38 patterns. In that year 4 out of 10 popular knitting patterns had the faded approach.
This yarn trend involved long color repeats. It was then used for shawls and garments. This yarn became so popular that there were 2,564 projects completed out of Caron Cakes yarns.
But this amount had almost doubled in 2017. There were 5,890 projects completed using this yarn.
This type of tuck stitch wherein you knit each row twice. You knit yarn overs together through a slipped stitch from the previous row. This creates a mushy or spongy fabric.
It was Stephen West who paved the way for brioche’s popularity in 2016.
Source: Knitting Through The Back Loop
These different statistics about knitting are a big revelation. All the while, many think that this hobby is only for middle age and the elderly. But, it turns out to be one of the most loved hobbies of the younger age groups.
Knitting is no doubt a helpful craft to help individuals express their creativity. It is also a proven reliever of stress, anxiety, and depression. Knitting is no doubt a popular skill worldwide despite being a humble crafting hobby.
Knitting is thriving and booming. All the data show that this industry is growing. The sales are rising despite the health and economic crises. This is indeed a hobby worth pursuing. Are you glad that you made the right choice of starting this hobby?
Leave a Reply