A friendship bracelet is a decorative string bracelet that symbolizes friendship. It is a handmade accessory that uses embroidery floss or thread. This handmade string bracelet comes in different colors, patterns, and styles. You can make friendship bracelets either by braiding or by making half-hitch knots.
Many yarn crafting enthusiasts use embroidery floss and threads for making friendship bracelets. So, what is the difference between embroidery floss and embroidery thread?
Embroidery floss is a yarn made of twisted embroidery threads. An embroidery floss often comes in six either S or Z twisted threads. An embroidery thread is a thin strand of fiber that makes a floss. In simple terms, a group of twisted threads makes a floss.
Now that you understand the difference between thread and floss, which one should you use? There are reasons why some yarn crafters prefer floss than thread. One of which is its composition.
Based on the composition, embroidery floss is thicker than thread, so it is more durable and dense.
Embroidery floss is inexpensive and comes in many colors. Embroidery floss gives your friendship bracelets a thick and wide finish.
Meanwhile, some choose embroidery threads because they are thinner. Using a strand makes it easy to mix with other threads for a colorful pattern. Some prefer embroidery threads to prevent unraveling of the strings. They give a neat appearance on the bracelets.
Both the embroidery floss and embroidery thread are great for your friendship bracelets. Both are colorful and inexpensive. It all boils down to personal preference.
List of Contents:
Can You Use Embroidery Floss For Friendship Bracelets?
Making friendship bracelets is easy and fun. It is a yarn crafting hobby that you can do anywhere and anytime. It is easy to complete a friendship bracelet. A beginner can finish it in less than an hour. It’s a pretty straightforward process.
All you need is a good quality embroidery thread or floss, some braiding or knotting skills, and you are good to go. Embroidery floss is the most common material used for making friendship bracelets. These are the reasons why:
- Embroidery floss is great for making colorful friendship and string bracelets.
- They are inexpensive and accessible. You can buy embroidery floss in all crafting and textile stores. You can also order them online.
- They are available in several fibers like silk, rayon, cotton, and linen.
- Embroidery floss gives a full and dense appearance to friendship bracelets.
- If you want wide friendship bracelets, embroidery floss is the way to go. It makes wide bracelets without using too many strands.
- Embroidery floss, especially the 6-strand, is easier to braid or knot. Twisted strands are easier to hold and braid than using several strands of thin threads.
You might have heard or read about some comments about embroidery floss fray. This is a simple issue that you can prevent from happening. All you need to do is wax your embroidery floss before you braid or make knots.
Embroidery floss is a versatile material for yarn crafting. It is inexpensive, colorful, and available in different fibers. It allows you to make lots of beautiful patterns and styles of friendship bracelets.
What Is The Best Embroidery Floss?
At this point, you might be thinking of creating your friendship bracelets but you don’t know how to start. First thing firsts. Choose your material.
Having the right materials for your friendship bracelets is the best starting point. This calls for choosing the best embroidery floss or thread for your project.
There are lots of threads that you can use for friendship bracelets. But embroidery floss is the most popular. It is such because of its versatility, availability of colors, and low price point. These are what make embroidery floss the best material for yarn crafting projects.
There are a few factors to consider when you buy your embroidery floss. Check if it is:
- available in several colors
- available in natural, synthetic, or blend fiber
These factors are important for making friendship bracelets. You want to have many options to choose from, so you can explore your creativity. You can make different styles of bracelets if your floss has several colors. You can make bracelets with vivid and sheen colors if your floss is colorfast.
Friendship bracelets will have unique textures if the floss comes in different fibers. Lo and behold, embroidery floss has all these properties! This is why it is safe to say that it is the best material for friendship bracelets.
There are great brands to buy your embroidery floss. There is DMC, Anchor, Sullivan, and many others. You must check which brand is most accessible to you, so you won’t worry in case you run out of floss.
How Long Should Embroidery Floss Be For Friendship Bracelets?
Whenever you make a project, do not waste your materials. Keep in mind that you need proper measurement before you cut or trim your embroidery floss. Any mistake in your measurement will mean wasting your material, your money.
Before you start your friendship bracelets, you need to determine how much floss you need. The common size is between 30 to 32 inches (81.3 cm.). An easy way to do it is by cutting the floss to the length between your shoulder up to the tip of your middle finger.
Depending on the style you plan to make, always add an extra inch to the measurement you have gotten. For instance, you use the 30 inches (76.2 cm.) length, then you plan to make a couple of knots in the design. You add more inches to your original measurement.
Adding extra length is important to avoid getting short with your floss. Ending up short can happen because a knot will take up more or less an inch to your floss. To be safe, add the extra length according to the number of knots you plan to put in your design.
This extra length may not be necessary if you plan to make simple braids for your bracelets. The 30 to 32 inches (76.2 cm. to 81.3 cm.) length is enough to make a beautiful friendship bracelet.
Here is a simple friendship bracelet you can make.
- Choose your colors.
If you are a beginner, you may start with three different colors. Choose colors that are complementing each other. If you are going to give it to your friend, you may want to choose her favorite colors.
- Cut and wax the floss.
After cutting the thread either 30 or 32 inches (76.2 cm. to 81.3 cm.), wax it using paraffin or beeswax. This is to prevent fraying on your floss.
- Tie the floss
Gather all your floss, make sure that you level all ends. From the tip of the threads, leave at least 3 inches allowance. Then, tie them together with a tight and clean knot.
- Stick the Knotted Floss
Once you have knotted the floss, get scotch tape and stick it on the edge of a table.
Then, straighten the floss by pulling them downward. Separate the floss according to its color.
- Start the Bracelet
After separating the floss, you can start braiding. Start from the left side going to the right. Get the leftmost floss and pull it over the center floss. This looks like you are switching the left and the middle floss.
Get the rightmost floss and pull it over the middle floss. Note that this middle floss was the leftmost floss before you started.
Continue to do the process until you complete braiding your desired length.
Leave at least 3 inches again from the other end of the bracelet. Then make a double knot to finish the project.
Tips for Making Friendship Bracelets
When you make a double knot, make sure you do it for every knot. You must be consistent to make sure that each floss will give the bracelet a flat finish.
In case your bracelet begins to twist, press, or iron it to flatten. You may also use a paper clip to keep it straight and flat. Move the clip as you braid. You may also use a clipboard instead of a paper clip.
- Wax your floss before you start making the bracelet. You can use beeswax or paraffin. You may use a candle because it is paraffin. You do waxing by running or rubbing each floss over the beeswax or candle. This will make your floss smooth and sturdy. This prevents floss from fraying.
- You can make different styles and patterns by doing knots, braids, or combinations.
- Do not knot or braid the floss too tight as it can break your threads. Tight braids or knots can make the bracelet stiff.
- Do not braid or knot too loose. This makes the threads or the floss to unravel.
- Select complementing colors. You may also consider the colors that the recipient wants.
Four Friendship Bracelet Knots
There are four friendship bracelet knots. This determines the direction the knot travels. The friendship bracelet knots have two knots piled together. Here are the four types of knots you can do.
- Forward Knot
- Backward Knot
- Forward-Backward Knot
- Backward-Forward Knot
Take the floss on the leftmost using your right hand. Then, loop it on your left thumb. You will notice that this step makes the shape of a number “4”. Tie the knot through the loop into the number “4” shape you made.
Get the next floss with the fingers of your left hand. Then use your right hand to pull the end of your first strand below and into the loop. Get the first floss straight up the bracelet to make a knot.
Get the right floss and make a backward figure of a number “4”. Then, get the end of the next floss that overlaps your left floss. Put it underneath the loop.
Pull the floss through the loop and bring it up to your bracelet. This makes a knot.
This type of knot begins with the first loop of the forward knot, then it ends with the backward knot. It means that the floss on the left will stay on the left when you complete the knot.
This is the opposite of the Forward-Backward Knot. This begins with a backward knot and ends with a forward knot. It means the right floss will remain on the right when you finish the knot.
What To Do If You Run Out Of String In A Friendship Bracelet?
Have you experienced running out of string before you finished your bracelet? Don’t fret. Here are a few simple steps you can do in case it happens again.
- First, cut a similar color and length of the floss that ran out then, wax it.
- Separate the floss so you can have a clear view of the insufficient floss.
Get the new floss and tie it to the short floss in the bracelet. Tighten the knot to make sure the floss is secure and smaller.
- Then trim the end of the tied floss and continue braiding as usual.
- If you want to make sure the knot will not unravel or fray, you can apply glue or clear nail polish.
- Once you have cut the end of the tied floss, apply a small amount of clear glue or nail polish on the knot.
- Make sure you do not put too much glue or nail polish so the other floss will not stick together.
- Let it dry. Once dry continue working on the bracelet. Make sure not to pull the floss too much as you braid. This might cause you to untie the knot and pull out the added floss.
- You can prevent this hassle if you make the right measurement of your floss. Here is the trick to never get short on your thread. Cut floss the length between your shoulder and the tip of your middle finger. Always add an extra length of floss if you plan to make knots on your pattern.
A friendship bracelet is fun and simple to make. It makes a great gift to anyone close to your heart. It is an inexpensive way to make creative and unique bracelets for your friends and family.
You don’t have to start with complex patterns and designs. You can make beautiful friendship bracelets by simple braids like the fish-tail braid. All you need to do is choose the right embroidery floss, then mix and match complementing colors. Give it a try now!