Thinking of ways to display your cross-stitch pieces? You might have framed most of your projects and display them in your room. But, do you know that you can showcase your cross-stitch pieces in various ways?
Cross-stitch projects are not for mere frames only. You can display them as a home decor or an accent to your furnishings. There are tons of creative options.
Well, you are in for a treat. Today, you will learn the 16 creative ways to showcase your cross-stitch art pieces. So, read on.
List of Contents:
- 1: Bowl or Tray Fillers
- 2: Canvas Frame
- 3: Christmas Stockings
- 4: Door Banner
- 5: Scrapbook Album
- 6: Wall Collage
- 7: Hanging Decor
- 8: Luggage Upholstery
- 9: String Potholder Series for Cupboard Decor
- 10: Wall Hanging Tapestry
- 11: Curtain embellishment
- 12: Throw Pillow Cover Designs
- 13: Chair Upholstery
- 14: Handbag Design
- 15: Lampshade Cover
- 16: Rug or Carpet Alternative
1: Bowl or Tray Fillers
During your early days of cross-stitching, you might have created small projects. Do not keep them hidden in your drawers or cabinets. Give them the appreciation they deserve.
Besides, they were your initial sources of pride and motivation to continue cross-stitching.
This is a creative way to showcase these little bundles of joy. Get your small cross-stitch projects and frame them. You may also turn them into little pillow-like ornaments. Then, get a big wooden bowl or tray and arrange your cross-stitches pieces on it.
You can place this bowl or tray of cross-stitch ornaments on top of your center table in your living area.
2: Canvas Frame
Forget about the round hoops and frames. Give your cross-stitch pieces that classic look. Buy a canvas and put your best creation on it. You may also use an old photo frame you have in your basement.
MCS 16x20 Inch Mount Finished Canvases, Black Frame, 16 x 20 Inch,
If you want to use the old frame. Make sure that you clean it first and give it a fresh coat of paint. Once dry, you can place your creation on it. The process is not difficult.
- Get cardboard and cut it according to the size frame – not the borders.
- Press your cross-stitch first. Make sure you remove all the creases on the fabric.
- Next is to wrap your chosen cross-stitch piece around the cardboard.
- Stick or bond the back part of your cross-stitch on the cardboard. You may use masking tape if you do not want to use glue or fabric adhesive. This will serve as the support of the fabric on the frame.
- After you have attached the fabric on the cardboard, place it inside the frame as you would do to frame a photo.
- You can hang it on your family gallery wall, above the fireplace, or in your living area.
3: Christmas Stockings
For sure you have some holiday-themed creations right there. Give them a better purpose than just letting them get dusty in your storage. Gather all your Christmas-themed cross-stitch pieces and use them to create holiday stockings.
These cross-stitch holiday stockings are great for decorating your Christmas tree. You can also hang them around the fireplace or on every door of your homes. You not only display your creations, but you also glam up your home with these unique holiday decor.
4: Door Banner
Another creative way to display your cross-stitch pieces is by using them as door banners. The process of making a door banner is easy. Here is a simple step-by-step process you can follow.
- Prepare wooden rods that are at least 4 inches longer than the width of your cross-stitch. You also need twine ropes or ribbons which you will use to hang the banners.
- Once all the materials are ready, prepare your cross-stitch projects.
- Fold the edges of your cross-stitch project and stitch them using a running stitch. Make sure that the stitches are a little loose and wide.
- Then, get your backing material and attach it to the cross-stitch fabric. See to it that you do not sew over your temporary stitches.
- Leave at least one inch (2.54 cm.) space at the top part of both ends of your cross-stitch. This opening is where you will insert the banner rod.
- Once you have stitched the backing material, insert the rod. Then, cut the rope or ribbon according to your desired length.
- Tie one end of the rope at the end of the banner rod. Provide at least one inch (2.54 cm.) space from the rod tip. Do the same process at the end of the banner rod.
You now have a wall banner that you can hang on your bedroom door.
5: Scrapbook Album
If you have several small cross-stitch projects that you want to display, make an album for them.
- First, get an old photo album or buy 1 from a thrift store. No need to buy a fancy one because you will cover it anyway.
- Choose a cross-stitch project that you want to use for your album cover. Gather all the small projects that you want to put in the album. Then, press all these projects.
- Get your scrapbook album and cover it using the cross-stitch you have chosen earlier. After covering, place each small project on each leaf of the album. You may add some embellishments around the project like the usual scrapbook.
Now, you can display this on your album shelf in the living area.
6: Wall Collage
If you do not have a gallery wall, then this is the perfect time to make one. What will make your gallery wall is it will showcase your cross-stitch pieces.
- Choose the wall you want to display your works. Then, clean it and create a layout where you want to position your cross-stitch pieces.
- Gather the pieces that you want to display on this wall collage. Then, press these pieces and frame each. You can use different frames and materials to give character and texture to your collage.
- Once everything is ready, time to stick them on the wall.
- If you do not want to stick the frames directly on the wall, use a plywood base. Get plywood and cut it to your desired dimension.
- Stick the cross-stitch projects on this plywood base. You may or may not frame your works since you are going to use this wood base.
- Make sure you attach the pieces according to your desired layout, you can now screw it on the wall.
7: Hanging Decor
This is one of the best ways to display your cross-stitch pieces. Not only that you can show off your masterpieces but they can give your space a homey feel. This is also one of the easiest options to display your works.
- Get the pieces that you want to display. You also need to prepare a thick baking material and cotton fiber as filling.
- Stitch the cross-stitch and the backing material. Leave a few inches opening to insert your cotton filling.
- After you have attached the cross-stitch and the backing fabric, put in some cotton fiber. You may also use a thin cushion instead of the cotton fiber.
- The filling should only be at least 1 to 2 centimeters thick. Do not over-stuff the project.
- Then, get the center of the top edge of the project. This is where you are going to put the ribbon or lace hanger.
- Attach the ribbon hanger between the cross-stitch and the backing material. To finish off the project, stitch the materials together to close this top edge.
You may now hang it anywhere in your home.
8: Luggage Upholstery
Give your old and boring luggage a fresh makeover. Gather all the cross-stitch projects that you want to display on your luggage. Then, stitch them on the luggage fabric. Make sure that you fold the edges to prevent fraying.
This is a great way to display your cross-stitch pieces. As you travel more people will see your masterpieces.
9: String Potholder Series for Cupboard Decor
If you are a kitchen diva, one way to showcase your cross-stitch pieces is to use them as kitchen decor. There are three options to do this. One is potholder string decor. Second is a mock kitchen towel. The third option is to make oven mittens for display.
Here, we will use the string potholder series. Choose several small pieces that are suitable for potholders. Prepare a rope that you will use to hang the finished potholders.
Make your cross-stitch potholders. Once finished, insert the rope into the potholders’ hangers. Make sure that each potholder is facing the front. You may hand stitch each hanger onto the rope so it stays with its position.
After you have attached all the potholders. You can now tie the rope on the top border of your cupboard. This gives your kitchen that farmhouse feels.
10: Wall Hanging Tapestry
If you are an avid fan of tapestries, you can use your cross-stitch pieces as an alternative. Choose the cross-stitch pieces that you want to put in your tapestry.
- Join these pieces according to your desired size for your tapestry.
- After you have joined these cross-stitch pieces, attach a thick fabric backing.
- Press the tapestry before hanging on your wall.
This cross-stitch tapestry is a perfect way to display your works. Its unique design is sure to catch everyone’s attention.
11: Curtain embellishment
Using your cross-stitch as curtain embellishments is another creative way to display them. You may either stitch them as border or drapery designs.
When you do this, make sure to select cross-stitch pieces that have a common theme. This is a clever way to show off your works. When your cross-stitch projects are on your curtain, it is difficult not to notice them.
12: Throw Pillow Cover Designs
Since your throw pillows are always on display on your sofa, better use them to showcase your works. You may use your existing throw pillows. All you need to do is attach your cross-stitch projects on the front part.
You may also make a new set of throw pillowcases. Then, use your cross-stitch pieces as the front section of the cases.
13: Chair Upholstery
This is one of our favorite ways to display your cross-stitch pieces. Everyone will get to see your projects since chairs are either in your dining area or in the living room. It is easy to do.
Select the pieces that you want to use. Then stitch then on the front and back upholstery of your chairs. Make sure that you stitch over the stitches of the actual upholstery of the chairs. This way, it will not be difficult to sew in the fabric.
14: Handbag Design
If you want your friends and coworkers to see your cross-stitch pieces, use it as a design on your handbag. Choose a project that has a complimentary design
and color to your handbag. Then stitch it on the front part of your bag.
This will give your handbag a unique and personalized design. This will also allow you to show off your masterpiece anywhere you go.
15: Lampshade Cover
This is another creative option to show off your cross-stitch pieces. You may replace the lampshade fabric with your cross-stitch creations. All you need to do is detach the old fabric and stitch on your chosen projects.
You may attach it without using a backing material. But, if you want to have a backing material, choose a thin fabric.
16: Rug or Carpet Alternative
If you want your family and guests to see your projects, then display them in your living area. One way to do this is to transform them into a gorgeous rug or as a carpet alternative.
You do this by selecting the cross-stitch pieces that you want to use. Then, connect them by stitching their edges according to your desired size. Once you have connected them, attach a thick fabric backing material.
This will protect the stitches of your projects and make your rug thicker. You may also add a thin cushion padding between the cross-stitch and the backing fabric to add volume to the rug.
Cross-stitching is fun and habit-forming. This is why you cannot stop yourself from creating new ones now and then. That is okay. It is the purpose, anyway.
This hobby allows you to explore your creativity and provide relaxation. If you make a lot of creations, it means you are enjoying it.
But do not put your efforts in vain. Do not let your projects sit in your drawer and simply collect dust. Display them. Show them off because they are your masterpieces.
You have learned that framing is not the only way to display your works. These 16 creative options are only a few of them. There are still lots of ways to showcase your works. Think out of the box.