Cricut used to be popular only among scrapbookers and cardmakers. But today, people who love DIY jewelry can also take advantage of this fantastic technology. Besides artworks and paper projects, you can also make jewelry with Cricut.
If you have a Cricut machine and love jewelry, now you can with the Cricut machines! You can always customize them according to your preferences. Please continue reading to know more about Cricut and how you can make Cricut jewelry.
List of Contents:
What is a Cricut machine?
If you want to try making Cricut jewelry pieces, I think it is best to know what Cricut is. A Cricut machine is a cutting machine that can cut various materials and designs. You can create beautiful crafts with different materials and a Cricut machine.
You can also draw and emboss to do 3D projects, depending on your Cricut machine model. Like a jewelry ring blank, it is one of the best tools you can get if you love crafting! But of course, not everyone can get one. So I will answer some of the most frequently asked questions to help you decide.
Do you need a Cricut? A Cricut machine is a beautiful tool. You can use it for many different crafts. But as I mentioned, it is not for everyone. Do you need to cut a lot to make your crafts? If yes, then you might need to buy a Cricut.
But, if you do not think you cut a lot for crafting, you might not need a Cricut. Yes, it is a handy tool, but you will not get the most out of it. It is best to save your money for other things that you can use for your crafts.
What is the best Cricut machine?
There are currently three different Cricut machine models available in the market. Please read the following descriptions about the various models. I hope this quick guide helps you decide which Cricut machine is best for you!
1. Cricut Explore Family:
This family is the most common among all the Cricut machines. You have three choices from this family, which can cut the same materials. But, they all have distinct features. Here is a short description for each of them:
- Cricut Explore One and Explore Air: These two are the older versions of Explore Air 2. Cricut Explore One only had one tool holder. But the Cricut Explore Air had two tool holders and a Bluetooth connection.
– Note that these two machines are no longer available on Cricut’s website. But you can buy them second-hand from other shops or DIY lovers.
- Cricut Explore Air 2: This Cricut machine can cut, draw, score, print, and cut like the older versions. But it operates two times faster than the Cricut Explore Air.
- Cricut Explore 3: This Cricut machine has the same capabilities as the Cricut Explore Air 2. But you can use it to cut materials like vinyl without a cutting mat. The Cricut Explore 3 can also operate much faster than its predecessors.
– The Cricut Explore 3 also has a more powerful sensor for its print and cut function. Because of this new feature, you can use both white and colored paper for your crafts.
2. Cricut Maker Family:
This Cricut family is perfect for you if you want a machine that has a fantastic cutting force.
- Cricut Maker: The Cricut Maker almost has the same capabilities as the Cricut Explore Air 2. But it is more powerful, with a cutting force 10x the strength of the Explore Air 2. You can use it to cut, score, deboss, and more.
- Cricut Maker 3: The new Cricut Maker 3 can do everything the Cricut Maker can. But it allows you to cut materials like vinyl and iron-on without a cutting mat. It can also operate much faster than its predecessor.
3. Cricut Joy:
Unlike the other Cricut machines, the Cricut Joy is a much smaller cutting machine. You can cut and draw vinyl and iron-on without a cutting mat. If you travel a lot, then it might be the best for you because of its size.
Note that there might be other older versions available in the market. But, the software they use is no longer functional. So, it is best to avoid buying Cricut machines that do not use the more modern software.
What does a Cricut do?
If Cricut is new to you, you can think of it as a household printer. Instead of printing, a Cricut machine will use a small, moveable blade to cut your design out of a piece of material.
How to use a Cricut machine?
Using a Cricut machine for your crafts is relatively easy to learn. The process is straightforward, and almost anyone can do it. Follow this guide on how to use a Cricut machine:
- First, choose your material. Then, place it on your machine’s sticky cutting mat. The cutting will hold your material in place as your device operates. Remember to load your mat into the machine.
- Choose a design in Cricut Design Space. Select the correct settings for your material, then send the design to your Cricut cutting machine.
- Press your Cricut machine’s button. Doing so will make your Cricut start cutting.
- Remove the mat and the material. After your Cricut finishes cutting your design, you will first remove the mat. Then, remove your material from the mat. Remember to be careful when doing this step to ensure that you do not ruin your project.
Now, for the fun part! I will show you some fun ways to make jewelry with your Cricut machine! There are many ways to make jewelry with Cricut. You can choose various colors, materials, designs, and sizes according to your preferences.
How to make jewelry with a Cricut?
As I mentioned, there are many ways to make jewelry with a Cricut machine. But if you do not know where to start then, you came to the right place. Follow this guide on how to make jewelry with a Cricut:
Note that these instructions are for making a word pendant that you can use for your necklaces. Some jewelry pieces need other settings, but it is pretty much the same process. It is best to explore your machine and see what other stylish jewelry you can create!
1. Prepare your materials.
Like any other craft-making project, you first need to prepare your materials. Remember that it is best to get materials that are compatible with your Cricut machine. You will need the following materials to make a word pendant to make your Cricut necklace:
- Cricut machine
- Cricut Design Space
- Your design’s canvas
- Cardstock, in the color of your choice
- Gold adhesive foil
- Glue or mod podge
- Chain necklace
- Jump rings
- Safety pins
2. Select your design.
Go to the Cricut Designs Space and select the design you want for your necklace pendant. Many DIY and craft makers sell and share their designs for free. It is best if you search for what suits your preferences.
You can select the Customize button if you want to change anything on the design. Once you are happy with the design, you will choose the Make It Now button. Remember to follow Cricut’s on-screen instructions to cut the design from your cardstock and foil.
3. Layer your cardstock.
Layer your cardstock and foil and apply ModPodge or glue to attach the layers. Remember that you can always customize your layers according to your preferences.
After attaching the layers, make sure to remove the glue from the holes on each word cut. You can use the safety pins for this step. Press the cardstock layers together and allow them to dry after removing the glue in the holes.
By this time, you can also apply your adhesive foil. Press it firmly to ensure that it adheres well with the other layers. Remember to allow it to dry with the other layers.
4. Clean your piece.
You can file down glue lumps if you see any on the edges. Make sure to do this step before you seal your necklace pendant so there will not be any marks that can ruin your piece’s style.
5. Seal your pendant.
Seal your necklace pendant and let it dry. You can apply a layer of nail polish and finish it off with another layer of Mod Podge to seal them all together.
6. Add jump rings and chains.
Finally, use your pliers to add the jump rings and chain necklace to make your jewelry complete.
- 4 reasons why crochet circle is ruffling
- 6 reasons why crochet stitches lean
- 2 incredible ways to polish sea glass for your jewelry
How to make leather earrings with Cricut?
Besides necklaces, you can also make earrings with your Cricut machine. Here I will show you how to make leather earrings. They do not only look good on anyone, but they also make excellent gift options! Follow this guide on how to make leather earrings with Cricut:
1. Gather your supplies.
Like other Cricut projects, you first need to get your supplies. You will need the following materials to make leather earrings using your Cricut machine:
- Cricut machine
- Cricut Weeder, upholstery needle, or a piercing tool
- Cricut Mat and a Bayer
- Jewelry pliers
- Earring hooks and jump rings
2. Select your design.
Open the Cricut Design Space and insert your chosen design for your leather earrings. Many people sell and share their designs for free online. It is best if you search for what suits your preferences. You can select the Customize button if you want to change anything on the design.
3. Set up your Cricut machine.
Add your leather to the cutting mat and use the brayer to smooth it out. Then, turn the knob to Custom. Click Browse All Materials and type ‘leather’ in the search box to set material. After typing in leather, you will select the type of leather you are cutting.
It is best to add the Deep-Point Blade to your Cricut if you are cutting genuine leather. You can also use the Knife Blade if you are using a Cricut Maker.
4. Load and cut.
Next, you will load the cutting mat into the machine and click Make It, and Continue. After doing so, you will see that your Cricut machine is starting to cut the leather.
5. Remove and peel.
Remove the cutting mat from the machine once it finishes cutting. Then, peel the mat from the excess leather before removing your earrings from the mat.
Use the wedding tool or any piercing tool to punch holes at the top of each leather shape. Then, use your jewelry pliers to open jump rings and add earring hoops. Do not forget to close the jump rings to complete the assembly of your leather earrings.